Buying disinfectant wipes is usually a chore you do without thinking. After all, where is the rocket science in buying wipes?
But the world of disinfectant wipes has become more complicated, what with so many options from which to choose.
You can opt for traditional disinfectant wipes that contain certain chemicals that, although useful for cleaning messes, may be harmful to your skin.
Then, there are the environmentally friendly wipes that provide effective cleaning but are also safe for the environment.
Let this review and buying guide help you navigate the wipe landscape to make it easier for you to pick the right one.
But first, here are a few things to think about when buying a pack of disinfectant wipes.
The chemical content – Most disinfectant wipes available on the market contain chemicals that are effective both for cleaning surfaces and to prevent bacteria from growing on the pre-moistened wipes. That said, you need to read the label to ensure that the disinfectant wipe you are considering is safe for you and your kids to use. The more chemicals the wipe contains, the worse it is for you especially if you are prone to skin and eye irritation and other health problems.
Editor’s Recommendation: 5 Best Disinfectant Wipes
Buying Guide of Cleaning Wipes
Safety for children – Many schools include disinfectant wipes among the list of things to get the child as she prepares for back-to-school. Not all disinfectant wipes are safe for kids. Although it is convenient to have a handy pack of disinfectant wipes to clear germs and bacteria from surfaces at home, school, and work, consider whether the wipe you need is safe for your kids to handle. Reading the fine print is again essential. A few wipe packages recommend that you wash your hand after using the wipe (funny that you would need to do that, isn’t it?)
Environmental safety – Not only should disinfectant wipes be good for your kids to handle, but it must also be safe for the environment. Many brands of disinfectant wipes consist of wipes made of biodegradable materials that will easily break down after you throw them out. These environmentally friendly wipes also have a lower concentration of harmful chemicals. So, you can get powerful cleaning action without the toxic or irritating chemical residue and fumes.
Your Health – Disinfectant wipes are designed to get rid of germs, bacteria, and viruses quickly and conveniently. With wipes, you don’t have to wash your hands with soap and water (as doctors and other health professionals recommend). But you may need to research the different wipes carefully to find the one that is most effective against certain bacteria, viruses, and germs. If you are prone to illness, pay attention to the descriptions on the wipe package to avoid those with certain chemicals that cause skin and eye irritation, respiratory, and other health complications.
Drying time – Wet disinfectant wipes work to remove dirt, germs, grime, and other contaminants from any surface you apply them to. But the surface should be dry within 90 seconds, as recommended by the Center for Disease Control (CDC). The wipe you choose will depend on what you need to use it against. Some wipes are made to conquer tough bacteria and germs so their dry time might be different from other wipes. Also, how effective their active ingredients are against certain organisms is indicated by the percentage of harmful bacteria, viruses, and germs that the wipe kills.
The surface to be cleaned – Your disinfectant wipe may not work well on certain surfaces so check the available information on whether the wipe you are considering is good for the surface you want to clean. As noted earlier, disinfectant wipes contain chemicals both for cleaning and as a preservative. Carefully check for statements on disinfectant wipe packages relating to damage to certain surfaces if used.
Top 5 Disinfectant Wipes Reviews
1. Seventh Generation Disinfecting Multi-Surface Wipes, Lemongrass Citrus, 70 count Tubs (Pack of 6)
Keeping your surfaces clean using a disinfecting wipe that does not smell like the usual disinfectant may seem impossible unless you are using the Seventh Generation Disinfecting Multi-Surface wipes. If you are determined to use only natural products and avoid toxic cleaners, then this gentle lemongrass citrus disinfectant wipe is your solution. Expect effective cleaning power that you are used to just like leading disinfectant brands.
You might initially need to adjust to the scent of this product, which though not offensive, is just not what you expected of a disinfectant. Once you get over the unusual smell (for a disinfectant at least), you will enjoy the cleaning power of these wipes. Unlike other cleaning agents that you have to keep out of kid’s reach for safety reasons, the Seventh Generation disinfecting wipes are safe for your kids.
- With one simple step, clean any surface or touch up areas you already cleaned with these convenient disinfecting wipes;
- You won’t inhale harsh fumes from this product that also kills 99.99% of viruses and bacteria;
- You don’t need to rinse the area you wiped with the Seventh Generation disinfecting wipes; They are safe to use;
- The active ingredient, Thymol is effective in cleaning and disinfecting your surfaces;
- These wipes leave your home with a fresh and clean scent thanks to the Lemongrass Citrus, plant extracts, and essential oils.
- You’ll have to get used to the unfamiliar scent.
Effectively kill any bacteria and germs in your home with the Lysol Handi-Pack Disinfecting Wipes. These wipes are convenient to use on any surface that needs cleaning and disinfecting. Every pre-moistened wipe is effective against germs on any surface, whether it is wood, tile, concrete, or any other surface. You don’t need sponges or bottles to use these convenient wipes.
Keeping your home germ free is made easier with the Lysol Handi-Pack disinfecting wipes. Not only do these wipes kill 99.9% of germs and bacteria like Influenza A Virus, Salmonella enterica (Salmonella), and Herpes Simplex Virus. The Lysol Handi-Pack wipes also reduced more than 95% of dust mites, pet dander, pollen, and other allergy-causing agents in your home.
- Effectively kills almost all Bacteria and Viruses found around the home;
- Lysol Handi-Pack disinfecting wipes are easy to use to clean and disinfect your home or office;
- These disinfecting wipes are quite simple to stack and store;
- They are scented with lime blossom and lemon.
You might also like how effectively the Clorox Disinfecting Wipes get at the dirt, grime, germs, and other mess. Conveniently packed in three canisters, these powerful wipes are armed with an antibacterial formula that kills 99.9% of bacteria and viruses found around the home.
Protect yourself and family with these micro-scrubber sanitizing wipes that do not contain bleach and other harsh chemicals. Although gentle on your hands, Clorox disinfecting wipes are strong enough to erase any mess on countertops, floors, walls, and other surfaces. The sharp lemon scent offers a clean freshness to your home.
- Clear your home of bacteria, allergens, and germs with these effective sanitizing wipes. They kill 99.9% of viruses and bacteria;
- These sanitizing wipes are thick and double-sided to get rid of mess including grime, soil, and grease;
- These versatile wipes clean any surface, from finished wood to stainless steel;
- Clorox provides three canisters containing seventy single-use wipes that fight bacteria and germs. Wipes have a fresh Lemon scent;
- Keep your home smelling fresh with the Clorox disinfecting wipes.
Keep your kitchen, bathroom and other surfaces clean and fresh while saving the environment. That is what you can do with the Green Works Compostable Cleaning Wipes. Made from natural fibers, these wipes from Greenworks are also effective against household dirt and grime. After using you can put it in your compost (if you have one) as the wipe is biodegradable.
Green Works wipes are designed with the cleaning power of leading disinfectants, but with mineral-based and plant-based freshness you can only get from an environmentally friendly product. Dermatologists also confirm these wipes as safe for persons with sensitive skin. Expect high-quality sanitization wipes from Green Works who have created products that are not only environmentally safe but efficient in keeping things fresh and clean in your surroundings.
- Help your environment with these biodegradable wipes that you can also compose rather than send to the landfill;
- Wipes have a fresh and pleasant scent;
- Versatile on most surfaces; Use these wipes to clean any mess in your kitchen, bathroom, kid’s rooms, and anywhere else in your home;
- They do not contain abrasive chemicals nor leave residue; Wipes are gentle on your hands.
- Green Works wipes contain other chemicals which you can smell.
The final product on this list of best disinfectant wipes is the Lysol Disinfecting Wipes. These wipes are convenient to use against any bacteria, germs, viruses, and dirt. Not only are the Lysol disinfectant wipes more effective against microbes and other organisms than wipes produced by leading competitors, but they are also safe to use on your devices such as smartphones.
Each Lysol disinfectant wipe is meant to be used once then discarded. This single-use ensures that you don’t spread germs and bacteria from one surface to another. Lysol disinfectant wipes are also practical and kill 99.9% of bacteria and viruses (use according to directions). Allergens in your home are also removed, so your entire house is safe.
- Lysol disinfectant wipes are more effective than many other wipes on the market;
- When used according to directions, Lysol disinfectant wipes are effective in killing 99.9% of bacteria and viruses;
- Wipes are designed with one-of-a-kind Micro-Pocket Patterns that help to trap and remove every mess;
- Lysol disinfecting wipes are also useful in the removal of particles that cause allergies;
- Safe to use around kids as well as on smartphones and other devices.
So, there they are – five disinfecting wipes recommended for your consideration. With these recommendations, it should be easier to select the disinfecting wipes that is right for you. You were also shown some important considerations such as the chemical content of the disinfecting wipe, its effectiveness against certain bacteria and germs, and other features to look for when buying disinfecting wipes. Undoubtably, you have many options to select from when purchasing disinfectant wipes from your favorite supplier. So, even if the one you wanted is not among the choices, there are other places to go for the best disinfecting wipes.