Keeping your home tidy might sometimes feel like a full-time job. There’s always something to do, be it the dishes, vacuuming, laundry, or mopping the floors. A lot of these tasks can be made simpler with the use of the right tools. Mopping is no different.
Have you ever tried a steam mop? Steam cleaner mops are efficient, natural, and effective. Even if you’ve found some built-up grime in a corner or underneath the fridge, a steam mop is sure to break up the dirt and leave it pristine.
As a steam cleaner mop costs a fair bit more than your old run-of-the-mill mop, you should get the best steam clean mop on the market. One of the most popular ones right now is the Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop 1940.
Do you want to learn what all the hype is about & make your life so, so much easier in the process? Join us as we discuss all the pros and cons of the Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop 1940.
What Does A Steam Mop Do?
Before we delve into the specifics of Bissell 1940, it’s important for us to tell you what steam mops actually do. If you’ve already owned one before, you can skip to the next section. If you’re new to steam mops, check out what’s in store for you!
A steam mop is exactly what it says on the label. It’s a device that uses the power of steam to clean floors, carpets, and sometimes other surfaces. Unlike most mops, steam mops do not require any type of detergent. The steam alone suffices to complete the cleaning process.
Steam mops operate on electricity. They can either be corded or cordless. Most of them feature a small water tank that you have to refill occasionally. Next, as the water heats up to very high temperatures, steam is produced.
The majority of steam mops feature a microfiber pad (mop head) that can be replaced and machine-washed. Some more advanced models even come with two circular pads, allowing them to cover even more ground.
Why is A Steam Mop Better?
There are a few benefits that make steam mops stand out from the rest.
- Zero effort — All you have to do is drive the mop around the floor and let it take care of even old, sticky messes. Most mops have a flip-down easy scrubber attachment to make this more efficient.
- Zero germs and bacteria — The use of steam eliminates 99.9% of all germs and bacteria. This makes steam mops the safest to use if you have children, pets, or if you are simply conscious of infections.
- No detergent — Not using detergent saves you money and keeps you from using dangerous chemicals. Again, this is a great solution for homes with children, pets, or allergic people of all ages.
- Sustainable — While a regular mop will eventually break if you press down too hard, an electric mop is much sturdier and doesn’t require any elbow-grease in the first place.
Bissell PowerFresh Review
Now that we’re all up to speed on what steam mops do, we would like to introduce you to Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop 1940 — one of the best steam mops available in 2020. What does it do and how does it work?
|BISSELL PowerFresh Steam Mop, Floor Steamer, Tile Cleaner, and Hard Wood Floor Cleaner, 1940, Blue...||$96.92||Buy on Amazon|
This Bissell steam mop is large, tall, and durable. It’s a corded electric steam mop, which means that you will have to plug it into a wall socket. Fortunately, the cord is long enough to not make you feel restrained while you clean, measuring at 23 ft.
Despite being tall and providing a large cleaning surface, it’s light and easy to carry, weighing in at only 6 lbs. It stands up well without having to be propped against anything. The device itself is rather stylish with a modern mix of clean white and deep blue. It’s equipped with a 16 oz water tank that you can easily refill.
The Bissell PowerFresh steam mop is made out of durable, high-quality materials that ensure it won’t degrade in performance for many years to come. Bissell is also known for its good customer service, should you end up needing some repairs.
Bissell comes with a single microfiber soft pad as well as a microfiber scrubby pad. You can switch between them depending on the type of mess you’re currently dealing with. Additionally, the package contains two spring breeze fragrance discs and a carpet glide.
Both the soft mop pad and the scrubby mop pad are washable, meaning that you’re not likely to have to buy replacements in the future. They have a slightly rounded rectangular shape that covers a large portion of the floor, minimizing your steam clean time to the maximum.
You can use the steam mop Bissell provided on hard floor. It will serve you well on surfaces such as sealed hardwood, linoleum, granite, ceramic, and marble floors. The carpet attachment can, of course, be used on carpets and rugs.
While hard floor is fine, we do not recommend using this mop on laminate flooring. However, if your laminate floors are in good condition and with minimal crevices, you can risk it as long as you are careful not to overdo the steam effect. In general, start with the low steam setting and only increase when you can see that it’s fine to do so.
Bissell PowerFresh steam mop can be used to clean and sanitize your floors without using any harsh chemicals, detergents, or solutions. All you need is some electricity and some water in its built-in tank — the mop will do the rest of it!
This steam mop is capable of eliminating up to 99.9% of germs and bacteria, all with the use of steam. Your floors will be pristine and safe. This is especially important if you have young babies and toddlers, who tend to spend a lot of time on the floor. Bissell PowerFresh steam mop simply helps you keep your home secure for your loved ones.
Even if you find yourself with some long-forgotten mess, this steam mop will power right through it with the flip-down easy scrubber. The flip-down easy scrubber reaches to the grout and crevices, leaving everything perfectly clean when it’s done. Once the worst has been dealt with, you can go back to the soft mop pad for regular cleaning.
The mop is equipped with a smart steam digital control panel. This allows you to choose between low, medium, and high steam settings based on your current needs. The heat-up process is very quick, saving you time and money spent on power bills.
As far as maneuverability goes, the Bissell steam mop has nothing to be ashamed of. It provides top-notch swivel steering that lets you clean even underneath furniture.
Aside from cleaning with next to no effort on your part, this mop is capable of filling your home with a pleasant scent. With the addition of the Spring Breeze Fragrance Discs, you can make every room smell like fresh flowers.
Using the discs is super-easy. All you have to do is insert one into the designated slot on the mop pad. When you use the mop, the delicate scent will spread throughout the area.
Bissell prides itself on making mops that are both easy to use and easy to assemble. Once you get your Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop 1940, you will have to put some things together, such as the water tank. You will also have to perform a “test drive” of sorts, allowing the machine to heat up for the first time.
The entire assembly and preparation process should take less than five minutes. The mop comes with a set of helpful instructions to guide you through this.
Knowing the product is one thing, but using it is another thing entirely. Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop 1940 is a powerful, formidable device capable of making your life better. If you’ve previously had to clean the floors on your hands and knees, you’ll feel like heaven. Of course, the same could be said about any mop. So why is Bissell PowerFresh steam mop better?
Even if you’ve owned a steam mop before, you are likely to notice a massive upgrade in cleaning quality. Bissell PowerFresh does not leave behind any messes. Instead, it leaves your floors in perfect condition, shiny, polished, and 99% germ-free. It’s light to carry around the house and the water tank does not require frequent refills.
While it could definitely be a little more maneuverable, with a larger swivel, it’s still easy enough to drive underneath furniture or kitchen appliances. The steam delivery is just right, with the upstroke laying down the steam and the downstroke cleaning the floor.
The only thing that would really make this mop would be making it cordless. That would remove the feeling of being restricted by the length of the cord. On the other hand, a cordless steam mop only has a limited battery life, presenting a restriction of another kind.
Pros & Cons
You’ve heard most of our thoughts on the Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop 1940. Since there was a lot of information for you to absorb, check out our quick list of pros and cons to summarize this steam cleaner for you.
- Two mop attachments: soft pad and easy scrubber
- Three steam settings
- Fragrance discs fill the room with a beautiful scent
- Astounding 1500 watts of power
- Strong, durable build
- Long cord (23 ft)
- Sizeable water tank
- Light and easy to carry
- Bissell provides excellent customer service
- Not ideal for laminate flooring
- Only for hard floor
- It could be cordless
- It doesn’t have a tray to rest on when not being used
How To Use Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop 1940?
If we’ve managed to convince you that this is one of the best steam mops on the market, you might be well on your way to trying it out soon. Trying out a steam mop for the first time can be a touch intimidating. To make things easier, we’ve prepared a handy guide for you below.
First, assemble the steam cleaner mop as the instructions require and plug it in. Allow it to produce some steam and wait for the cue light on the digital panel to become stable and stop blinking. Once that happens, your new steam mop is ready to use.
Before You Start Mopping
You might be eager to get right to it and start mopping all the floors in your home, but wait! There are steps to take before using your Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop 1940
- As soon as you plug the mop in for the first time, it will begin heating up. Keep that in mind and don’t be scared by it. There is no on/off switch on the Bissell.
- Vacuum the floors thoroughly. Although the Bissell may resemble a vacuum cleaner, it’s still a mop. Things such as pet hair, debris, or dirt will only lower the effectiveness of your efforts.
- Fill the reservoir with distilled water. This helps in preventing the build-up of limescale in the water tank or the other parts of your new steam cleaner mop.
- Make sure not to clean in range of any children and pets! The steam reaches extremely high temperatures and can pose a danger to anyone not aware of it.
- Insert a fragrance disc into the mop head if you want your room to smell like spring flowers.
Cleaning The Floors
All the prep is done, the time has come to dispatch all the messes your old mop couldn’t handle. Remember to only use it on hard floor.
- Plugin the mop. Keep in mind that the cord is not auto-roll — the entire length of it will be on the floor from the get-go.
- If this is your first time cleaning, start with the lowest steam setting and try it at a hidden patch of the floor. If it works well, you can adapt the settings to what you want to use.
- Following the upstroke-downstroke pattern, where the steam is applied on the upstroke and the downstroke cleans the floor, begin mopping.
- You don’t need, and in fact, shouldn’t press down hard on the mop. Remember that with Bissell, it’s the steam that does the job. The mop pads merely wipe away what the steam already destroyed.
- Once you’re done cleaning, set the mop in a safe place. It’s preferred that you put it somewhere where the moisture from the mop head won’t hurt your flooring.
For a first-time steam mop owner, all tips are great tips. If you want to get the most out of your brand new Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop 1940, check out our additional tips.
- Never use chemicals or fragrant water in the water tank.
- Also, refrain from using regular tap water. Distilled water is the best type to use in any water-based device.
- Try to clean each patch of the floor at least twice. If dealing with sticky messes, be prepared to go back more than twice.
- If needed, unplug the mop and swap to the easy scrubber if you encounter a stubborn mess. You can also use it for cleaning grooves and crevices.
- One tank should be able to cover up to 1,000 sqft, but if you find your tank running low, refill as needed with the mop unplugged for safety.
- If you find your mop heads becoming less efficient over time, you can always buy replacements. They can also be machine-washed or washed by hand.
If you are left with any remaining questions, this is where we will address them.
Why Do I Have To Use Distilled Water?
Distilled water is recommended in devices such as steam mops, clothing irons, and steam cleaners. It’s much better than the hard city water usually found in our taps.
The reason why distilled water is so recommended for these types of devices is that it’s 100% free of impurities and dissolved salts. As a result, it doesn’t corrode the inside of your Bissell steam mop 1940’s water tank. Moreover, it’s not just the tank that gets damaged if you use hard water — the entire steam-making system does.
Minerals and salts, ever-present in hard water, are bound to wear down any metal over time. If you want to ensure your Bissell will stay in ship-shape for years, buy a gallon of distilled water.
Can I Use Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop 1940 On A Rug or Carpet?
Yes, you can! Bissell comes with a special attachment that works on carpets and rugs. All you have to do is swap the mop head out for the carpet attachment, set your setting, and sanitize your carpets with ease.
Be careful not to use the highest setting at first. Some carpet fabrics are very delicate and may be damaged by high temperatures.
Can I Use A Cleaning Solution in The Water Tank?
You won’t be needing any kind of cleaning solution or detergent if you use Bissell steam mops. The mop cleans perfectly without any additional chemicals.
If, however, you still want to add a cleaning solution, please do not use it inside the water tank. Instead, spray a bit of the solution on the surface area that you wish to clean. Next, mop it with the steam mop.
Adding any additional liquids to the water tank might damage the mop, so we really do not recommend it.
Is The Bissell Steam Mop Better Than A Regular Mop And Bucket?
There is no doubt whatsoever that a steam mop, regardless of the manufacturer, will always do a better job. Your regular run-of-the-mill mop and bucket will never be used again once you pick up Bissell.
Traditional mopping is tiresome and unsanitary. Using a steam mop makes mopping a breeze & leaves your floors in a much better condition. On top of that, Bissell is a company known for making the best steam mops on the market. There’s absolutely no contest here!
Bissell PowerFresh 1940 steam mop is an amazing device. It’s capable of turning an annoying chore into a breeze. Even if you’re not a fan of cleaning, we can bet you’ll enjoy it now as the mess will practically disappear before your eyes.
Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop 1940 is a trustworthy, reliable, and powerful steam mop. Best be assured that we can heartily recommend it. Give it a shot. Your only regret will be that you haven’t tried it sooner!